Thursday, March 29, 2007

I decided to do my photo essay on the roundabouts that are going to be installed soon in the Bloomfield-Farmington area. I did some research online and found the intersections that were being considered for the roundabout project. Surprisingly the Free Press was my most helpful source. I was unable to find all seven locations, MDOT only had four listed. A problem from the start was that none of the projects had been started. Because of this I was unable to capture any construction in progress. I decided to visit these locations and get pictures of the intersections and surrounding areas. Once I got going I realized the pictures I would be able to take would not show the viewer much. From the ground I was only able to capture the road, street signs and traffic lights. I balanced this by mixing in satellite photos from Google Earth. I edited these photos by marking the positions where the pictures were taken. I as well gave an approximation of the area captured in the photo. I thought this would help to put the seeming random picture into context. When I went to the intersection I tried to get photos from all corners of the intersections. However, some came out better than others and I did not use all of them. The one thing I learned was people are much more conscious of pedestrians in Ann Arbor than in Farmington. I almost got hit three times navigating the 14, Northwestern, and Orchard Lake intersection. I was being conscious and waited for a walk sign, the drivers seemed to simply be oblivious. This is why I don’t think roundabout will work. Most drivers are unaware of how to navigate in unusual situations. These roundabouts will cause a large amount of problems for new and inexperienced drivers. Tuesday my friend David reminded me he had a roundabout in his neighborhood. I went and checked it out. It was indeed a roundabout, just on a very small scale. This concerned me because Dave said all the neighbors have problems with drivers going the wrong way or simply blowing through the stop signs. The photo essay did not come out as flashy as I would have liked, however, it does provides a good foundation for the argumentative paper which I will do on the same topic.

No comments: