Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Catholic School Closings

Over all i thought the author had a very good paper. Not only was the topic relevant to his local area, but he had a good amount of invested interest. I thought his thesis could have been a little stronger. "I believe that the Archdiocese of Detroit has not given enough thought to the overall negative impact these school closings are having on the students who are being displaced." The simple removal of (I believe that) would make his argument seem stronger; it creates an assertive claim instead of a personal opinion. Over all his paper is supported well and he pushes his audience to emphases with the students.

As far as sources are concerned I thought they were a little weak. The interviews were good, but the articles were out of news sources not professional publications. To his credit I can imagine it to be difficult to find extremely credible sources on such a local issue. The interviews of people who dealt with similar experiences gives a realistic look into the situation and added a lot to the paper. Overall it was a decent read and gave me some concepts I want to work with on my final paper.

My Sources

No comments: