Thursday, January 18, 2007

For this assignment it was necessary to review two blogs on Detroit. These blogs were filled with images and short posts. Detroit Funk was the fist blog I checked out. The images stirred some interesting emotions and I was able to relate to most all the picture.
The first eleven picture were of the iced over terrain. Not only similar to the view outside my house, but it reminded me of glass blowing. I just started blowing glass and I am working on a flower type piece, this gave me two interesting ideas to work with.
The next pictures were of a busted up television. This really struck emotions and memories of a time when my friend through a weight through a TV. This happened after we snuck into an abandoned warehouse. Probably not the smartest idea; but tequila has been known to impair my judgment. It’s actuality an impressive sight; the bulb does not just break, but explode. The artist did a good job of capturing this; we only got a video on a camera phone.
I really liked the black and white photography. The artist did a good job of capturing depressed areas. The contrast of grayscale does an excellent job of capturing the dejected buildings. I don’t understand why he captured the Temple Beth El building. It did not seem to fit with the theme of the rest of the photography. I’m glad to see the artist captured the resolution in 2400. High deff photography is starting to get really popular because of the significant drop in price of equipment.
The post before had more of a striking contrast. It seems like the pictures were taken in a toy-machine. The colors are very vivid and the pictures are much more fun than the previous ones.
Overall this blog is very appealing. The pictures are very interesting and there is a lot of media to search through. I would however like to see more written, the artist should at least caption his pictures. The site seems to have a decent following and when I visited it said there were 15 other people visiting the site.
The second blog was Faded Detroit. This site had a lot more to read through. I thought the post History vs. Parking – Parking Wins, related very well to the class. It’s about an 81 year old Chicago style school building. This piece of history is being redeveloped into a parking structure. There are as well 80 condos being built on top of the structure. The owner of the blog is upset about this and probably agrees this act is “humiliating” the history of the city. Personally I agree with developing the building. It is stationed at a prime location and could serve the population better with this new plan.
The photography is not as good on this website, but still interesting. I like the picture of the Trans outside Co Bo arena. This reminded me of how my dad use to bring me to Detroit for Red Wings games when I was a young kid. Both these blogs were interesting and I got some good ideas from both of them. I think I am going to add more pictures on mine. It would give me something to respond to once a week.

No comments: