Monday, January 22, 2007

I am a huge fan of tequila and have a respectable collection; acquiring different kinds of tequila and becoming a coinsure has become a small hobby. Since the blog and class have been open up to free posts I think I am going to critique something I enjoy. The obvious place to start is top-shelf and work my way down. Patron is the top product in which I have completed the collection. (Minus the coffee liquor – excited) The blends rank in order of: Anejo, Reposado, and Silver. Meaning “aged”, “rested”, and silver. Patron is interesting because the company does not actually distill their own tequila. They buy out top reserves of the year and mix up to three different types until proper taste is reached. Each bottle is hand crafted and individually numbered. The anejo is very nice and has a quality oak barrel taste. The reposado is comparably smooth and has a flavorful burn, excellent in a margarita. The silver is smooth, but I was not overly impressed with the blend. I thought all the types were smooth on the rocks and would recommend it to any tequila fan. Over all Patron represents the best mainstream tequila choice on the market. The tequila is quality, but for the price, you are paying for the name. Unless the product is being consumed on the rocks I would personally recommend a cheaper product.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ryan. I saw your post about Patron tequila and thought I’d comment. I work for Patron’s advertising agency in Dallas and have had a few opportunities to personally visit the Patron distillery in Jalisco, Mexico. Patron does in fact distill their own tequila, in their own facility called Hacienda del Patron (it’s an unbelievable place, in the hills of Jalisco, about an hour outside of Guadalajara.) They buy agave from around the area (to ensure they get the best crop) and then bring it to the distillery where it’s cooked, fermented, distilled, and then bottled. Definitely try the Patron XO Cafe (the tequila and coffee liqueur) sometime, it's good stuff.

rcahill said...

Thanks for the information, I stand corrected. Always nice to find people who enjoy tequila as much as I. Patron offering any internships that you know of?