Thursday, February 15, 2007

In class we recently split up into two group and read different articles pertaining to rap music. Both articles made valid points, but I would overall have to disagree with the conclusions. I don't think rap music is corrupting our society or setting too poor of standards for our youth. I think more people get annoyed always hearing about bitches and bling than strive to fit the male gender roll imposed. I am a fan of rap music, even gotten on a few tracks with YNP. Not all rap is gangsta garbage. Take Atmosphere for example. He flows about substantial issues and even when he talks about women it's usually more tasteful than not. I think there's a solid percentage of rap fans who appreciate thoughtful and less vulgar lyrics. The claim one article made about rap not being music is beyond ridiculous. To me that isn't even worth arguing. The final complain I have was splitting the groups up by gender. There was only 5 or so girls in the class to the 15-some boys. No wounder the girls weren't participating as much as expected.

No comments: