Thursday, March 08, 2007

Free Press

When searching local issues the economy is still the greatest factor. Personally, I really enjoy reading the prep. sports articles. I played for three teams in high school and it's nice to be able to follow them online. The Free press does a good job of telling the news pretty unbiased. However, it's not uncommon to find interjections of personal opinions or assumptions. This isn't a totally bad thing when dealing with the local news. Assumptions are usually in the form of predicting impacts or the population's stance on the issue. Example being the article on roundabouts being added in West Bloomfield. In the next few years there is going to be seven added within ten miles of my house. This scares me. I know how to drive a roundabout, it's really not that hard. It's the other drivers that worry me. Teenage Bloomfield drivers in mommy's Lexus, who struggle with normal driving conditions will not be able to comprehend the circular chaos. When they first get installed there will be a lot of accidents - which will take a very long time to clear, halting traffic. The Free Press really focuses on the topic's impact on the community. The articles are not simply telling a story, but why you should care as a citizen. This presents a human factor. The paper doesn't over use the human factor, which is good, but it does have a place in the paper. I think I am going about the roundabouts, simply because of the relevance to my community. In the next five years they will become so common place it will be impossible to navigate West Bloomfield without having to deal with one. The only reason this would be a problem is because the paper is going to be based on pictures. No construction has started yet so it would be rather difficult to find relivent pictures. If this idea doesn't work out I may want to explore somthing dealing with urban devolopement. Anything that would provide me the chance to go out and take some pictures.

1 comment:

impervious2581 said...

I have to agree. Using a roundabout doesn't really bother me, but it's the other people who've never used one before who make me wary of going on there. It's not difficult to merge into the flow, but I can just picture some person who's extremely slow or afraid will cause more trouble than it's worth.